Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chocolate Pecan Pie Tart(lets)

I am no longer a pecan pie making virgin! This afternoon I made pecan pie tarts (tartlets by my DH)--this dough is delicious and the filling mmmmmmm so so good. My only problem? I decided to make 1.5 batches of the pie filling without first premeasuring how much pecans I had. I ended up having a bit too much of the sugary liquid and was about 1/3-1/2c short on pecans.  In part, the shortage was due to my desire to "decorate" the tops of the tartlets with 3 pecans atop each.   The below recipe contains the proper quantities of all ingredients.
One of my favorite aspects of this recipe is that its missing a common pecan pie ingredient--corn syrup!  While I do not fear corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup, I simply don't keep any around. As you know, I am a big fan of recipes that use basic ingredients that I typically have on hand and with the exception of the pecans, these were all already in my pantry.




CRUST:
Ingredients:
  • 3 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1 c. flour (I used whole wheat!)
  • PAM or other cooking spray
 Directions:
  • beat together cream cheese and butter until well creamed
  • mix in the flour
  • refrigerate dough 1 hr
  • roll out dough between 2 pieces of seran wrap,about the thickness for sugar cookies
  • using a mug or cookie cutter, cut out circles
  • grease muffin tins
  • place dough circles into tin and press into place to make a cup shape
PECAN FILLING
     Ingredients:
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon  flour
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter
  • Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well
  • Add the milk, vanilla nuts and chocolate
  • Pour into an unbaked tarts
  • decorate with lined up pecans on top (optional)
  • Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes(until edges of dough start to become golden in color
  • reduce oven temperature to 275 and bake for 10 more minutes
  • let cool before flipping pan upside down and gently tapping out the tarts
  • FINALLY, ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment