Monday, January 25, 2010

Strawberry Jam Oatmeal Bars

While flipping through my cookbooks recently, I came across a recipe that I had not before noticed but that sounded yummo! These bars are a great combination of the healthy benefits of oatmeal yet sinful with the sugar and butter necessary to create them!

Recipe Adapted from Cookies and Bars by Love Food

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of regular sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  •  3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1.5 cupstrawberry jam
  • 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  • preheat oven to 375
  • spray a 12x8 or 13x9 pan
  • add sugars and flours together in large bowl, mix well
  • add oats and butter and using hands, incorporate until mixture resembles granola
  • press 2/3 of mixture in pan, bake for 10 minutes
  • spread jam (easier if its at room temperature, so you may want to microwave it if its been sitting in the fridge)
  • sprinkle chocolate chips and then the remaining mixture, press down gently
  • bake for additional 20-25 minutes
  • remove and allow to cool before cutting.
Thoughts- DH loved these, and so did my coworkers. To me, they were a bit too sweet. I would recommened cutting out the white sugar all together and using 3/4 cup of brown sugar. OR use a jam that is not as sweet as mine was (very very sweet). I also used milk chocolate chips as that is what I had, semisweet would have been a better choice to complement the sweetness.  Overall, these were easy and fun to make and I will surely make them again with raspberry jam and semisweet chocolate chips.

0 comments:

Post a Comment