Sunday, January 24, 2010

Zucchini Latkes

For many, the smell of potato pancakes frying in mid to late December reminds them of family, gifts, and lighting the Hanukkiah.  While I love the golden delicious fried goodies as much as you do, a number of years ago my mom made me these delicious pancakes out of zucchini.
    Yesterday, desiring something different as the "starch" for dinner, I decided to whip some up.  They were SO delicious, much better than I remembered mom's being (sorry mom) and even DH J enjoyed this healthy side to our oven roasted chicken.  So incredibly good that I ate a few leftover from yesterday for lunch today and you know what, I think I am going to be making some more tomorrow too!



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb zucchini (green sqash) washed with ends snipped off
  • 3-4 tbsp flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 2 eggs + 1 white (or 4 whites)
  • EVOO for frying
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder- to taste
Directions:
  • with peel on, grate zucchini by hand or food processor
  • dump zucchini into mixing bowl
  • add eggs, mix well
  • turn on frying pan or griddle with enough EVOO to cover the frying surface but not enough for "deep frying" or boiling
  • sprinkle 3-4 tbsp over mixture and mix again, making sure flour is evenly distributed
  • season with salt, pepper, garlic powder or other seasoning, to taste-- mix again
  • use measuring cup or large spoon to spoon mixture just as you would make potato latkes/hashfries/small pancakes
  • fry until lightly browned, flip and cook for 2 more minutes
There you have it- 10 minutes takes you from raw zucchini to a delicious meal, size or snack.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love love love latkes (I was so excited for my first Hanukkah with my boyfriend and he taught me how to make them :-D) These look yummy. I have always wondered if sweet potatoes would work in latke form.

Alina said...

Angela, yes, sweet potato does work but I have never tried. I LOVE the zucchini ones so so mcuh I think your comment reminds me that I should make some more this weekend!

Post a Comment