Monday, February 15, 2010

Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Stirfry

I have fallen severly behind in my blogging and have several photos + recipes to post so, rather than boring you with my random thoughts on cooking, I will cut to the chase and post a few recipes tonight!

 
This is a combination of several recipes, you should be glad I did the legwork for you to come up with the perfect combo!

 
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb of chicken (I used a little less)
  • 2 tbsp chili oil (if you like it super super hot, if just medium hot, I would use 1 tbsp
  • 3 hot chili peppers (I used dehydrated ones, ONE SMALL fresh will do it!
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1 cup mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion (cut into quarters rather than rings so that each piece is about 1 inch squarish)
  • 1 bunch (about 2 oz) fresh basil leaves, removed from branch
  • 1 c cocunut milk (I used lite)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce (I used lite; you can use 2 tbsp if you don't have fish sauce)
  • 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (normal vinegar would work if you were in a pinch but it will not have the same flavor and I would reduce to 1tbsp for that reason)
  • 5 scallions, chopped
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
  • 2tbsp chopped FRESH ginger

 

 
DIRECTIONS:
In a bowl, mix the coconut milk, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar and fish sauce.  In a skillet or wok, heat the oil + hot pepper+SLICED (not crushed-- use fresh!) garlic over medium-high heat (my dehydrated peppers were about 1.5 inches in length and very thin, I did not cut them but if you use a fresh one, I suggest starting off with a small amount and adding additional towards the end of cooking time if you need to take the heat up a notch then.  You do not want to make your meal so spicy that you can not enjoy it; its really hard to take it down a notch once you make it, other than to add more ingredients and increase the servings so be careful!. Stir in the onion, ginger, and garlic, and cook until lightly browned. Mix in chicken strips, and cook about 3 minutes, until browned. Add mushrooms and onions, then stir in the coconut milk sauce. Continue cooking until sauce begins to reduce.  Mix in green onions and basil and cook and additional 2-3 minutes or until chicken is done.   Do not worry about the basil wilting.  Garnish with additional basil and/or green onion, if desired. Serve over the cooked rice.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment