Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A long overdue party in my kitchen-- MONKEY BREAD

It has been weeks, 6 weeks to be exact, since I last posted. I blame it on a 2 week vacation + passover, well, at least that takes care of 1/2 of the time I was MIA.

Well, I have gotten busy in the kitchen this week, already having made MONKEY BREAD and some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and I expect our friend Lia to stop by in a little while for dessert and so there will soon be 2 Molten Lava Cakes in the oven!




So, without further ado, here is the oh so simply monkey bread recipe (with some suggestions). Some quick notes: I did not want to make a huge amount as you would if making in a bundt pan, which is the traditional baking pan of choice. Instead, I used to mini bread loafs and it worked like a charm. I put more in one than the other, the bigger one came to work with me of course!  You can't really go wrong with this recipe if you use a little more of one ingredient or a little less of another. 

Ingredients
  • 2 packages (about 8 oz each) of refrigerated buttermilk bisquit dough (I would use about 30 oz total for a bundt pan)
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup margarine (I used smart balance)

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spray pan(s) with PAM
  • Toss sugars and cinnamon together in plastic bag (quart size or bigger)
  • Cut bisquit dough into 1/3s or 1/4s (I did a little of each)
  • Toss pieces of dough in sugar bag, about 6 pieces at a time until nicely coated
  • Remove coated pieces and gently press into pan(s), do not use too much force as you do not want the dough pieces to stick to each other and they need room to expand during baking
  • Once all pieces are coated and placed into pan (s), place remaining sugar from bag into sauce pan with margarine-- mix well and allow to boil while stirring, for about 1 minute.
  • Remove sugar mixture from heat and pour into pan (s)
  • Place pan(s) on cookie sheet (in case the sugar butter mixture boils over a little bit so its not burning at the bottom of the oven!)
  • Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  Approximately half way through gently cover pan(s) with foil to avoid overbaking/burning the top.
  • Upon removing from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before flipping over on serving plate
Pictures to come this weekend so stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment